Monday, April 23, 2012

Life Changing or Career Building

Life Changing or Career Building

Studying something for three or more years that you can study from your own bedroom and giving thousands of thousand of pounds for it does sound a little bit weird. This raises the question: do I really need to? Why am I doing this? Is it going to be of any use to me? This is a question I can’t answer, because who knows, I have been studying math and chemistry for half of my life and I didn’t need it once to help me with something. So who knows if I need to study this so that one day it can help me?

There is also the thing that a person these days has to know a lot of stuff to make a good future for himself. But why is it like that? I am not talking about life lessons, but knowledge you would have to have in a business area. Wouldn’t it be a lot better to focus on one thing you are good at and keep going at it, become better and better, instead of trying to learn several things at once?

I’ll provide myself as an example. I want to improve my skills in drawing and sculpting, but at the same time I have to learn 3D software like 3Ds Max, Zbrush, Maya, and game engines like Unreal Engine and Cry Engine. If I learn all of them instead of focusing on one thing, would that help me? Let’s say for instance that I attempt to learn all of them combined for two years. At the end, would I be good at all of them or average at all of them? Wouldn’t it be better to focus on one or two things for that time period and become completely fluent with them? But then again, you never know what your employer will want from you. He might be searching for a person with skills on all of those programs, or on the other hand, a person that is very good at drawing. But there are thousand of ideas that came to mind about this. Who knows, somebody else might want to employ you just because you are very talented. It’s never bad to have lots of skill though, if you can keep up with them.

The question yet again comes to mind: why do we need education within an institution? Why, when with a subject such as this, I can obtain all the help I require from internet tutorials, or just people form the industry? Do companies still prefer a person with a fancy diploma and education than one with the same talent, or better, but with no institutional education? Do they think that if we did this sacrifice to study and give lots of money that we would be better workers? Most of those questions I can’t answer because it doesn’t depend on my opinion, and I can’t say how the people within the industry think.

The best idea is to try and improve yourself at everything, but if you enjoy something and you are good at it, keep going until the end, but don’t get full of yourself. Compare to other people, try getting more critique on yourself and your work in order to find out what’s wrong, and fix it. That’s one of the best ways to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment